Re: Mastery Based Learning??

As a student, I worked in a mastery-based introductory astronomy
course taught by John Safko at the University of South Carolina. That
experiment has been going on for about 20 years with about 1000
students per semester. You might want to get in touch with him,
though it isn't exactly physics.

Discussion in my department of late has touched on "mastery-based learning"
in the university physics course environment. Does anyone know of any
relevant experience or experiments, especially in the context of relatively
large student numbers (~100 per lecture session)?

Robert N. Rogers
Chair, Physics and Astronomy
San Francisco State University

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227