Re: A Little Astronomy Question

A couple of comments were:

JR
Put a higher temperature object in thermal contact with a lower temperature
object. >Heat flows from the hot object to the colder object, thereby
increasing the energy of >the cool object and decreasing the energy of the
hot object. One might describe this >as a "energy flow" and yet it occured
without work being done by one body on >another. Therefore I disagree with
what was said above.

Leigh
Heat is
the name of any process by means of which energy is transferred from
one system to another with no resulting change in external coordinates
of either system. Work is the name we give to any process by which
energy is transferred from one system to another by means of changing
the external coordinates when the systems are themally isolated from
one another. We say "energy flows" from one system to another; we never
say "work flows", and we *should not* say "heat flows". That is the
conventional assignment of meaning to those words. If you do not wish
to use those terms that is your choice, but you do students a great
disservice by teaching them language that other physicists do not use.

Mark
Q is work on a microscopic, entropy-related scale. W is macroscopic work.
Both are measures of energy transfer, and there are good reasons for
distinguishing between them.

I like all three of these statements, mine was the least carefully written,
I naturally was referring to macroscopic work. Which is the only sense in
which Thermodynamics alone deals with work; microscopic work deals with the
statistical mechanical underpinnings of Thermodynamics.

In class I usually use the words "heat flows" as a short hand for the
paragraph that Leigh stated above. I think this may cause some confusion,
as it reinforces the idea of "heat" being a substance rather than a
process; but stating the above parapgraph is simply too awkward in the
classroom. To be sure, I have given the paragraph above and then tell the
students that I'll use the word "heat flows" simply as a short hand and
emphasize many times that this usage doesn't mean Q is an attribute of a
physical system. I'm not comfortable with this and welcome other ideas of
terminology; but also realize that part of the job is teach the terminology
that is used by practitioners.

Another point which I'm uncomfortable with in the classroom. I too eschew
the use of Delta Q and W for the obvious reason; but in my calculus level
class I have to refer to dQ and dW, and I've previously in mechanics
emphasized that d(anything) is a small change in something. So I have to do
some fancy footwork here and say that dQ and dW only mean a small quantity
and not a change, I mention the words "inexact differential" as well (not
that I expect them to understand inexact differentials, but simply to
sensitize them to the use of terminology that they will see later.)
Comments or suggestions?

Joel
rauberj@mg.sdstate.edu

PS - I have my own views on the terminology "constructivism"; of which I
won't unburden myself yet.