From: Judi Harris <jbharris@tapr.org>
Subject: Subject Matter Experts Needed!
To: RSMITH@uwf.cc.uwf.edu
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 20:14:04 -0500 (CDT)

==> Dear Listowner:
Would you be willing to post this on your list(s)?
It is an invitation for your readers to participate in
a nonprofit project for K-12 students and teachers.
Please forgive the form nature of this message. We are in great
need of subject matter expert volunteers!
Thank you for considering this request!
Judi Harris, University of Texas at Austin
- - - - - - - -
WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO SHARE WHAT YOU KNOW WITH
K-12 STUDENTS AND TEACHERS BY ELECTRONIC MAIL?

Recent estimates indicate that 50% of all primary, middle, and secondary
schools in the U.S. have access to the Internet, that proportion having
increased by 15% in just one year9s time. This makes a very special kind
of learning available to many K-12 students and teachers: one which
directly involves subject matter experts communicating about their
specialties, via electronic mail.

Since early 1993 and with support from the Texas Center for Educational
Technology and the JC Penney Foundation, we (at the University of Texas at
Austin) have been offering a free Internet-based service (the "Electronic
Emissary") that brings together K-12 students, their teachers, and subject
matter experts (3SMEs2) electronically, helping all to create
telecomputing exchanges centered around the students' active learning in
the SMEs' disciplines.

Increasing numbers of SMEs or SME groups are needed to correspond
regularly (approximately 4 times per week) with primary, middle school, or
secondary students and their teachers (1SME or expert group per class,
study group, or individual student). Each electronic exchange begins with
project planning via electronic mail between the SMEs and the teachers.
Communications with students begin on mutually convenient dates, and
continue for previously-arranged periods of time, usually lasting between
4 and 16 weeks. An "online facilitator" (one of the Emissary9s staff)
monitors the communication and is available throughout the exchange to
assist with project organization, effective communication strategies, and
technical help, as needed.

Subject matter expert volunteers are sought in *all* academic disciplines
and areas of practical expertise. *Please note* that we have particular
needs for experts with specialties METEOROLOGY, ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE, and
TEXAS HISTORY. Communications with classes will occur from now through
mid-December, then again beginning in late January and ending in mid-May
to mid-June.

==> If you would like to find out more about participating in this
==> project, please explore our Web pages at:
==> http://www.tapr.org/emissary/
==> ...and complete an online SME information form
==> if you would like to volunteer.

Judi Harris
Electronic Emissary Project Director
University of Texas at Austin
jbharris@tenet.edu

Greg Jones
Electronic Emissary System Developer
University of Texas at Austin & Texas Center for Educational Technology
gjones@tenet.edu

! kyle forinash 812-941-2390 !
! forinas@indiana.edu !
! Natural Science Division !