Re: Chladni figures...

On Mon, 2 Sep 1996, Delissa Souder wrote:

Greetings! I was wondering if anyone has ever tried making chladni
figures as a lab or demo? If so, could you give me some advice on doing
so? What materials did you use? What type of patterns did you get?
I've tried using a metal disk (galvanized sheet metal) supported at the
center and various "bows" to produce the sound vibrations. I've been
unsuccessful and was wondering if there is anything else I could use that
is readily available. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Sounds" like your problem may be with overly thin metal. You'll need a
plate which is thick enough to be somewhat rigid. When you support it
horizontally upon three fingers and then give it a good whack with your
knuckle, it should go "Boonnnnnnnnnnng" and not "clank." Sheet metal
might be too thin, so it couples to gas, loses energy, and acts as a
transformer rather than an oscillator. The plate must act like a sort of
bell. Bells work best if thick metal, not sheet metal.

William Beaty voice:206-781-3320 bbs:206-789-0775 cserv:71241,3623
EE/Programmer/Science exhibit designer http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/
Seattle, WA 98117 billb@eskimo.com SCIENCE HOBBYIST web page