Re: Chladni figures...

You may have seen this already, but it was some nice comic relief
during the school-year gearing-up process. The song is to the tune
of the old "Beverly Hillbillies" theme song.

Nick

Nick Guilbert
Peddie School

nguilber@peddie.k12.nj.us

A SONG FOR A MARTIAN ROCK

(Written by Elise Matthesen and originally posted on the Well.)

Let me tell you all a story 'bout a blob named Jed,
a poor martian critter, barely kept his family fed,
and then one day he was wigglin' toward some food
when some of the ground came a litle unscrewed.

Impact events, they say;
bounced a piece of it on outta there,
just like a billiard ball.

Well the next thing ya know old Jed is on the move.
The kinfolks said, "Jed, what you tryin' to prove?"
They said "Antarctica's the place ya oughta go,"
so he loaded up the rock and he headed for the snow.

It was a nice rock, too.
Igneous orthopyroxenite.
Got pretty good mileage.

So eventually the earthlings, they took apart the rock,
and ran it through the TEMs and made the darn things talk,
And that's how we know about a critter named Jed,
and we're mighty glad to meet him, even if he's dead.

Come on in, show us your slides. boys.
Publish.
Y'all get tenure now, y'hear?

Song for a Martian Rock (c) Elise Matthesen 10:30 PM CDT 7-August-96
Permission to repost and email hereby granted; republication in any
other form or for fee prohibited without express written permission
from author.