The end of science!

I found a counter-quote to Michealson's assertion about progress being
made only in the sixth decimal place. This one was in the Science Joke
archive. From the title of the reference one would suppose that Wigner
reaches an opposite conclusion to that of Horgan when researching the
same topic:

There is no natural phenomenon that is comparable with the sudden
and apparently accidentally timed development of science, except
perhaps the condensation of a super-saturated gas or the explosion of
some unpredictable explosives. Will the fate of science show some
similarity to one of these phenomena? - Eugene P. Wigner

...in an essay ``The Limits of Science'' intended to estimate them,
originally in Procs. of the _Amer. Philosophical Soc._ v. 94, #5 (1950)

Though Horgan believes that scientists of the turn of the century did NOT
believe as he does, that science is finished, I suspect that Horgan
himself has put an end to this foolishness. In fifty or 100 years, after
more huge upheavals brought about by new discoveries have taken place,
someone is bound to start claiming that Science is Done. But next time
the more wise among us won't have just Michaelson as a reference. Instead
they'll be able to whip out an ancient copy of a silly book written by a
certain senior writer from Scientific American, and shame the doom-sayers
into silence.

Speaking of discoveries, see below. Astounding, Dr. Cavor! ;)

William Beaty voice:206-781-3320 bbs:206-789-0775 cserv:71241,3623
EE/Programmer/Science exhibit designer http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/
Seattle, WA 98117 billb@eskimo.com SCIENCE HOBBYIST web page