Re: LATEX

Hi;

LATEX is an extension of the TEX technical writting utility that allows
typsetting of math equations. The other flavor that I am familier with is
REVTEX which comes from the APS and formats text in Phys Rev format. LATEX
and REVTEX are add on packages to TEX which provide some macros which are
shortcuts to certian types of formats. One advantage of working in TEX is
the file that you create is ASCI so it can easily be emailed (and is
therefor platform independent). Many math and physcis journals will accept
electronic submitions in TEX format. The disadvantage is that it is not for
the faint harted: it is almost like a programing language, you have to
provide special code for the equations. So a simple equation might look
like $Y_0 = 2 a_0 + 2 \sqrt{2} a_0^2$. I hear there are GUI front ends for
TEX but I haven't seen them (in the versions I've seen you work on the ASCI
code in one widow and run a processor (kind of like a complier) to get the
readable file. You can try out a shareware version if you want (I would
recomend looking at a TEX book in a bookstore or library first). The two
shareware versions for the mac platform that I know about are Cmactex at:
http://jasper.ora.com/CTAN/tex-archive/systems/mac/cmactex/
and Oztex at:
ftp://ftp.shsu.edu/tex-archive/systems/mac/oztex/

The Lynix flavor of UNIX comes with TEX as do some other UNIX op systems.

Good luck.

kyle

I need information on a computer application called LATEX that supports
technical writing. If anyone out there can point me in the right
direction I would appreciate it.

Eugene (Gene) P. Mosca Phone 410-293-6659 (Fax 3729)
Physics Department 410-267-0144 Home
572 Holloway Road 610-683-3597 Summer
U.S.Naval Academy Mailstop 9C, Michelson Rm 339
Annapolis MD 21402 email: mosca@nadn.navy.mil

! kyle forinash 812-941-2390 !
! forinas@indiana.edu !
! Natural Science Division !