Re: HTML Editor

Where can I go for help in understanding how to edit HTML pages???

HTML is dead simple -- there really isn't much to it, especially if
you're not planning to get wrapped up in something like Java right
away. Go to the Netscape home page for a hypertext tutorial that is
pretty good as well as links to some other tutorials on the same
topic. If you prefer a book, I bought Laura Lemay's Teach Yourself
HTML in 7 Days, mainly to give myself a daily goal, and liked it
pretty well. To give you an idea how simple-minded it really is, the
book had to be padded out a bit with non-html stuff to reach 7 full
days of work. Also check out the Web Masters home page at
http://gagme.wwa.com/~boba/masters1.html. Has links to nearly
everything you might possibly want to know as well as places to
download appropriate software.

I have no idea what I am doing -- and it would seem that our sysops are
trying to catch up too. (:-)

Shouldn't take anybody very long.

Is there an opinion on the list as to which HTML editor is best? I have a
free version of HoTMetaL, but I can't see that it will do WYSIWYG. I think
PageMaker will do this, but I don't want to contribute to Bill's domination
of the galaxy. How is Navigator Gold -- would require that I install WIN95
-- a frightening thought.

Nothing is REALLY WYSIWIG since the appearance of a page is in the
end determined by which browser interprets the tags. I like Hot Dog
pretty well as an editor and it has the advantage of supplying you
with a really pretty clever and innovative set of tips and tricks
along with the program. You can download a trial version from
http://www.sausage.com and it doesn't cost very much to register for
the full version. Navigator Gold does most things you would want to
do but it does still have a few limitations. Hot Dog, like most of
these sorts of programs, is menu-driven so you see the HTML text
directly in the editing window but tags can be inserted pre-made from
menu or toolbar items if you don't want to bother typing them in or
don't quite remember which one does what. Hotmetal works much the
same way but is a LOT pickier and doesn't necessarily support all the
Microsoft and Netscape extensions. There is also a free add-in for
Word that you can download from Microsoft but again it has some
limitations and it hews pretty closely to Mr. Bill's party line.

By the way, WIN 95 really isn't all that bad -- memory management is
greatly improved over old Windows which is reason enough to get it, I
think. The only problems I encountered were with support for Novell
networks because, of course, Microsoft would like you to use NT. But
those problems were minor and can be avoided altogether by installing
the Novell client software (which is available free from their
website).

Is there an opinion as to which graphics editor is best?

You need something that will produce interlaced graphics in JPEG and
GIF formats and, preferably, GIF 89 files as well. Among the el
cheapo shareware programs, Paint Shop Pro is quite good but you have
to register it to get all the file formats. If you want to do some of
those slick image map pictures in which various parts of the picture
are mapped to various links, you can do it by hand with a text editor
and a good graphics viewer (the tutorials mentioned above will tell
you how) but it is much easier with a dedicated image map maker such
as Map Edit. Another very good one is Map This but it runs only under
Windows 95. Both of these are freeware. You can obtain them through
links in the above mentioned Web Masters page or through
Windows95.com (http://www.windows95.com), a very good resource for
users of that OS.

Am I asking the right questions??????

Yes. You also need to ask yourself "Do I need to do CGIinterfacing
or Perl scripts?" Generally speaking, if you want to do interactive
sorts of things such as forms for your visitors to fill in and get
answer to this is question is yes. On the downside, you really don't
want to do much of this unless you are just overly fond of unix. And
if that's true, likely you have other problems 8-).

Cheap is good.

Cheap is always good (except with beer and relatives). Always pull a
free knob.

I recommend the Hot Dog software. It is really as good as this stuff
gets and, though it isn't truly WYSIWIG (nothing is with HTML) you
are linked directly to a browser at all times so you can see what
your page looks like, and it seems to be the software of choice among
people who do this sort of stuff for a living (or at least it was
last week). I could have done without the bone-shaped toolbar though.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227