Re: The End of Science

It is true that the original paper (which I can find) makes
no mention of the experiment.

Does the original paper cite *any* other work? I recall that
it does not, but I don't seem to have a readily locatable
copy. It is not included in the Selected Reprints from the
AAPT on the topic of Special Relativity Theory!

Leigh

No, not experimental work per se but he does point out the absurb
situation with regard to electromagnetic induction. That is, move a
loop of wire in the neighborhood of a magnet and a current flows in
the loop. This was explained in the usual manner as electrons in the
moving wire experiencing a magnetic force as they move through a
magnetic field. Now hold the loop still and move the magnet and again
you get a current. This time the charges are stationary so the
explanation of the current is Faraday's, a changing magnetic field
giving rise to an electric field. This field propels the electrons
around the loop.

It doesn't matter to the experiment. You get the same result if the
loop moves or the magnet moves. The only difference is in the theory,
which provides completely different explanations for what seems to
nature to be the same phenomenon, explanations based on patently
foolish distinctions between rest and motion, especially since no
such distinctions are made in mechanics.

I guess that counts as experimental evidence but it isn't really
citing anyone else's experiment in particular.

There is, incidentally, a nice little book of reprints available dirt
cheap from Dover. It contains all of Einstein's original papers on
the special and general theories, along with those of Poincare,
Minkowski and others. It is called The Theory of Relativity and
Einstein is usually listed in catalogs as the author.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@worldnet.att.org The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227