tides redux

My apologies to anyone who hoped the tides discussion was finished, but...

From the AIP PHYSICS NEWS UPDATE (Number 281 July 29, 1996):

THE PHYSICS OLYMPIAD IN OSLO, like the sports Olympiad
in Atlanta, asks teenagers to race, hurdle, and vault past well-trained competit
ors from around the world. In Norway the
obstacles were all on paper. In one event, for example, the
participants were required to determine the size of tides on Earth in
the plane of the Moon's orbit, while not neglecting to allow for the
Earth's rotation.

Does anyone have details from this? I will admit to being too lazy to work
the problem out at the moment, since my main interest is in the comparison
of calculation and reality, rather than the methods of problem solving. I
also have to admit that I'm not quite sure how to translate the Earth's
rotation into the forward displacement of the tidal bulge...

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu