Michaelson quote (was Re: End of Science)

3) Isn't this the same thinking as in physics circles at the turn of the
century? We have learned all there is to know about physics -- oh yes we
haven't explained the thermal emission curve nor perhaps the
photoelectric effect, but other that these trivialities, we know pretty
much all there is to know about physics.

Yes - ironically notable in claiming this was Albert A. Michelson!

George, it would be interesting to have a citation for this.

Here's one Michaelson quote:

"Physical discoveries in the future are a matter of the sixth
decimal place."

Albert Michaelson (1852-1956)
taken from _A Dictionary of Scientific Quotations_, Alan L.
Mackay, Adam Hilger/IOP Publishing Ltd., Bristol, 1991.

Unfortunately, Mackay doesn't list a primary reference for this
quote.

Rick

Richard G. Strickert, Ph.D. | "Absolutum obsoletum -
Radian International, Austin, TX | if it works, it's out of date."
512-310-5259, FAX 512-244-0160 |
Internet:rick_strickert@radian.com | - Stafford Beer
---> "All written IMHO." <--- |