Re: The End of Science

I suppose the aether (or lack thereof) might be considered -- but I don't
think Einstein even knew about this experiment. (???)

Jim.Green@Snow.edu

Unclear. In a letter written in 1901, Einstein mentions an idea for
an improved measurement of motion relative to the ether but seems to
have become convinced it would not be worth pursuing. Later, he could
not recall ever having heard of Michelson-Morley when he wrote his
first paper on relativity. Pais wrote on this issue at some length in
his bio of Einstein but as I recall he really didn't settle the
question (can't find my copy right now so I can't check). It is true
that the original paper (which I can find) makes no mention of the
experiment.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@worldnet.att.org The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227