Re: Formal explanations vs. pathways of understanding (was:

Just curious -- does this program include consideration of alternate
ideas that turned out not to work or of alternate formulations
abandoned since they are less convenient? There is a nifty example of
the latter in Galileo's choice of definition for acceleration (which
I believe is in the Dialogues). The thing I always liked about
Burke's Connections series is the explicit recognition that the
development of scientific ideas is generally a great deal more
chaotic than the histories usually depict.

One of the key features in a new optional section in our IB Physics
syllabuses is the inclusion of material on historical physics.
What we aim to provide
is the sequence of events and ideas (and conflicts with prevailing
doctrine) and how the outcomes of these paradigm shifts affect us today.
We don't want the devlopment of physics to look to easy, methodical, or
instantaneously revolutionary, and we want students to gain some
appreciation of the assumptions and the paths that led to the
fundamentals that they are studying.

Allen
* Allen Brown

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@worldnet.att.org The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227