Re: Formal explanations vs. pathways of understanding (was: momentum before force

In passing one also cannot chalk up success in teaching up to enthusiasm
either. There is ample data from things like the FCI to demonstrate that
at least one other 'variable' is significant. Hake will have a paper in
AJP shortly which illustrates this with data from 8000 or more students.

Dewey I. Dykstra, Jr. Phone: (208)385-3105

I don't know what other variable you might be alluding to, but when one
suggests enthusiasm as a most significant variable, I assume the
enthusiasm is knowledge based in as wide a sense as possible. The more a
teacher can relate various concepts to examples, the better the message
is conveyed. From my experience, an expertise of the subject, a deep
love in conveying this information, and the involvement of the students
in working with the concepts in lab spell success.

Tom K. McCarthy, PhD Email:mcca6300@spacelink.msfc.nasa.gov