Re: Friction

On Wed, 17 Jul 1996 11:53:51 -0500 (CDT) James Riley said:
Having driven on ice and snow, particularly in northern Minnesota, for

(After re-reading the above paragraph I am not sure I got my point
across. I do maintain though that faster stops and greater control are
gained with ABS.)

I happened to mention to my son how hard headed you guys are and he told me
about a Ferrari braking test he read about in a magazine some time ago
(probably road & track or car & driver) At any rate they tried all kinds of
braking techniques and got the best results by just jumping on the brake
as hard as they could and locking up all 4 wheels.

Again, I can not emphasize enough that we're talking strictly about clean
dry roads. However, just to get your goat: When it is cold enough so that
the spinning tire does not generate a film of water on the snow, you can
get more traction from a stuck car by spinning the wheels that by trying
to creep out. It's like the tractor problem mentioned in an earlier post.