Course help: names of physicists

Sorry for the obscure subject line, but I couldn't figure out how to
phrase it.

I'm writing to ask for help in a course on "Physics of the Twentieth
Century" that I will be teaching to non-majors this fall. As part of
the coursework, I'd like to ask each student to write a paper
describing the life and work of a 20th-century physicist. I'm trying
now to come up with a list of physicists who would make good subjects.
I've come up with quite a few, but of course the list is heavily
biased by my own interests. Also, at the moment there are not many
women on it. Would readers of phys-l mind sending me additional
suggestions? Subjects could be living or dead, and I'm hoping to
include at least a few people who've done physics outside traditional
academic physics departments (e.g. people working on the physics of
climate, people who've worked primarily in industry, etc.).

Thanks for your help,

Ari Epstein
awe@pimms.mit.edu