Re: Old Stars

At 10:16 AM 7/16/96 +0100, Phil Barker wrote:

What if anything is the effect of dust, (or dark matter in general)
on Olbers Paradox? Is it possible that we don't see all the stars because
some are in "shadow"?

In a "young universe" the dust can obscure the stars. In an infinitely old
universe, or one at least old enough to be in thermal equilibrium, the dust
will be heated to the same temperature as the stars. In the intermediate
case we should "see" the dust in its infrared emission. (BTW - we do, at
least for some of the dust.)

So, as I understand it, given the original postulates (infinite, eternal,
homogeneous universe) the only effect of dust would be to shift the
"paradox" to another wavelength.
Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * "An insanity as enormous, as complex *
P.O. Box 5005 * as the one around me had to be planned. *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * I've found the plan!" *
* *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * -- Robert Heinlein, "They" (1948) *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * *
WWW: www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/gspagna.html