Re: Friction

So, are you saying that a car stops faster if it's skidding than if the
tires are rolling (i.e., there is no RELATIVE motion between the point(s)
of contact of the tire and the surface: therefore STATIC friction)? I
wonder why they made anti-lock brakes?

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs@interaccess.com)

As I understand it, antilock brakes are not intended to make you stop
sooner. In fact, I believe the reverse is true. The point is so that
you can maintain control of your car. You would like, whenever you do
stop, to do so at a location of your choosing and not simply because
you hit something a great deal larger than you.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@worldnet.att.org The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227