Re: Friction

On another note, the reason turning into a skid is the recommended
procedured is that by doing so static friction is re-established on the
front tires.

Good story, at least in the old days. What's your story for front wheel
drive cars? The reason for turning a rear wheel drive car into a skid
is that *only* in that way can one reestablish rolling of the front
wheels and, consequently, steering control. Of course once the wheels
are rolling, static friction is reestablished, but that doesn't mean
that one has got a better grip on the road. That is not the case with
a front wheel drive car. Such cars behave more intuitively in snow than
rear wheel drive cars. A front wheel drive car can be powered out of a
skid, a nice feature. I still remember my first drive in a front wheel
drive car (a '75 Rabbit) in the snow. When I discovered that it was so
easy to get out of a skid I took it up to the university parking lot
and skidded it all over the place. Fun! Too bad that was the only nice
feature of that car (it was a real lemon).

Leigh