Re: Old Stars/Olber's Paradox

Try looking in Mandlebrot's books on Fractals.

Thanks no. Benoit used to wander down the hall to visit me in the afternoon
-- I suppose when he was just bored out of his skull and wanted a little
light entertainment. He is a charming man, but read his books, no thanks.

I think the answer is that, if we assume that c has been
constant since the BB, that space has been expanding with
the Universe, and that the expansion of space has been <c
(but what if it hasn't?), then the photons have had more
than enough time to fill the Universe no matter what the
mechanism of the BB.

I would change the last sentence above so that the phrase
"fill >the Universe" reads "fill the *observable* Universe".
It is only the photons from the part of the universe which
is within the light-travel-time horizon of us which have
had more than sufficient time to reach us. Light from the
more distant reaches of the universe hasn't got here yet.
This is essentially because the farther away the source,
the faster its separation in space is growing between
the source and us.

David, we are talking about background photons here -- from the photon
period -- when the Universe was something like the size of a basketball.
How could it be that those photons haven't "filled the Universe"??? I don't
understand you here.

The most distant sources have been receding from us faster
than c, but because the overall cosmic expansion is slowing
down with time, their recession rate is also slowing down,
thus allowing the light from them to eventually reach us.

Faster than c?!!! Now I really need help. Of course the stuff doesn't move
at >c, but how is it that space expands >c? Is this what you are saying?
What is the evidence for this?

Jim.Green@Snow.edu