RE: Ideas for 8th Grade Science Camp

Here's a partial answer to the question "What would happen if we=20
detonated a nuclear device in space?", from an old issue of Life magazine=
=20
(July 20, 1962, pg. 31) It describes the results of "a giant hydrogen=20
bomb hundreds of miles in space over the Pacific",as seen from various=20
vantage points. i.e."Life correspondent Thomas Thompson was watching from=
=20
a (Waikiki) hotel courtyard. 'The blue-black tropical night sudden=FBly=20
turned into a hot lime-green. It was brighter than noon. The green=20
changed into a lemonade pink and finally, terribly, blood red...'" -the=20
shot occurred at 11 pm Hawaiian time- A correspondent in Samoa described=20
"the greatest rainbow in history..First two bright lines came up off the=20
northern horizon, curving away from each other, looking like feathers in=20
a glass. The white lines of the earth's magnetic field curved round from=
=20
north to south and in between there were coloredlights dancing. After=20
six to eight minutes the rainbow faded but it left behind something I'd=20
never felt with rainbows: elation, awe, and an unearthly fright"
=09There are additional descriptions and some great photos in the=20
article (which I use along with some auroral clips when we begin magnetic=
=20
force on moving charges) While the blast occurred relatively close to=20
the earth, perhaps this Life reference might be of some use.

=09=09=09=09=09Richard Halada
=09=09=09=09=09Rowlett High School=20