Re: inquiry based courses

This strikes very close to home. I have also been trying to move my
department in this direction, against some considerable resistance,
and have just returned from the Laws Workshop Physics seminar as part
of the grand plan. Lately at my institution tenure decisions have
tended to pivot on student evaluations so these responses lead to
some trepidation.

However, I note that many students here are equally uncomfortable
with a student-centered approach but much of this stems from past
experience -- they never had such a class before so it doesn't seem
like "real education." At least once each semester one of my student
evaluations will criticize me for answering student questions with
questions rather than answers ("runaround questions" is the favorite
phrase). I have defused this to some extent by making the first
question always something along the lines: "Tell me what you think."
or "Show me what you've done so far." Then I have a bit of an excuse
for asking a few questions as part of trying to understand what they
have done.

This attitude seems, unfortunately, to be particularly endemic (or
even pandemic) among the elementary education majors here. I got into
a big discussion last semester (ok, it was an argument) with one who
was in another faculty member's class and was arguing that physical
science had no bearing on his career goals, in fact no science did,
and so he should not be required to take it. In fact, the whole core
curriculum in his estimation was bullshit and he should be allowed to
choose 100% of the courses he takes since nobody knows him like he
does. This sort of consumer approach to education (give me only the
things I like and am willing to pay for) is rather disturbing but
especially in an education major and especially at the elementary
level. And especially in a state that tends to take the "warm body at
all costs" approach to staffing classrooms. It is sort of like going
to the grocery store and buying nothing but cookies and ice cream
because you don't like broccoli. My point was that he doesn't
necessarily know what he needs to know -- if he did, there would be
no need for college and he could head straight into the classroom.

I will never forget one of these students who had taken my course and
was deeply perturbed by a question I asked about the motion of
particles in magnetic and electric fields. She said we hadn't
discussed this in class and I replied yes but we had discussed
electric and magnetic fields and forces and also motion of particles
subject to forces so there was really nothing new. The next day, 90
xeroxed pages out of an education textbook appeared in my mailbox as
proof of the theorem of the theorem she had advanced which I remember
verbatim: "We learn in Education that you always say everything three
times -- once in class, once on the homework and a third time on the
exam." I asked if this meant that I could only ask questions on exams
that they had already answered and she said yes though she did allow
as how I might justify changing the numbers from time to time. What
strikes me about this statement is that all mention of learning has
been excised from it, replaced with "being told." The activity is
shifted from the learner to the instructor and my response is that
learning can only take place in the mind of the student, not the
instructor (or at least, not learning of that particular material,
one hopes).

I must hasten to add, however, that this is by no means universal
among educators. I teach the physical science class to elementary ed
majors in summers and take an inquiry/discussion approach and for the
most part it seems to go over pretty well. The trick seems to be
getting them engaged in the material and showing them that they are
in fact learning something. I do this with lots of prediction/why
didn't my prediction work? sorts of activities. You might also thing
about pre- and post- testing with the Hestenes Force Concept
Inventory, the Sokoloff/Thornton Force and Motion Conceptual
Evaluation, or some other such thing. From this point of view, it
doesn't much matter which instrument you use since the goal would be
to show that they have learned a great deal even though those
specific questions may never have been covered in class. And if, along
the way, you get some information about which areas seem to be
especially sticky in your class, that can only make things better.

Over the past two years I have shifted my introductory physics course to a
"Workshop Physics" type format and my physical science for non-majors course
to a very inquiry based format using primarily the AAPT model course materials
"Powerful Ideas In Physical Science". These shifts have produced a more
"student-centered" class environment.

The problem which concerns me is that the courses seem to have become more
unpopular and my own teacher evaluation scores have plummeted as I have
tried to make the courses "student centered".

Chris Wentworth

Department of Physics
Doane College
Crete, NE 68333-2496
402-826-8257 (O)
402-826-8199 (FAX)
cwentworth@doane.edu (Internet)

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@worldnet.att.org The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227