Re: Austral hurricanes

I'm no expert on this one, but we certainly get cyclones, which my little
science encyclopedia infers are typhoons by another name. You may remember
the one that flattened the tropical city of Darwin on Christmas Eve once
(in the early `80s I think?) They occur in the tropical regions.
We also get the delightfully-named "willy-willies" which is I think a name
of Aboriginal origin for small 'twisters', usually not big enough to cause
much damage. I've twice seen little ones, less than a metre high, start
near me in dusty locations on hot days in the bush (country-side).
Margaret Mazzolini
Swinburne University of Technology
Melbourne, Australia