Re: APS election ballot

At 10:40 AM 7/3/96 -0700, Mark Shapiro wrote:

I just received my American Physical Society 1997 election ballot
this morning, and noticed that nine of the candidates (for the
constitutional offices and the general council) are from major research
universities, two from national laboratories, and one from industry.
This seems to me to be unrepresentative of the membership at large. It
surely is not the case that 82% of the membership of the APS is employed
at major research universities. Many of us work in predominantly
undergraduate institutions, industry, and government.

Why can't the leadership of the APS be more representative of its
membership?

Good point - I noticed the same thing. Two thoughts occur, however:

1. Availability and willingness to serve, and perhaps being well-enough
known to those on the nominating committee as available and willing.

2. Many of us in small institutions are not financially able; I compare
what I make with the means published by APS for PhDs 10 years out, and
sometimes wonder if I'm in the right line of work.

(Of course, I think I've aged more gracefully than my better-paid peers!)
Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * "An insanity as enormous, as complex *
P.O. Box 5005 * as the one around me had to be planned. *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * I've found the plan!" *
* *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * -- Robert Heinlein, "They" (1948) *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * *
WWW: www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/gspagna.html