Re: 'toon physics

I've been following this thread with interest. Especially concerning student
misconceptions due to toons. I use video analysis a lot in my intro class,
and wheel my cart with a computer, a 27" TV, and a VGA to TV converter into
lecture almost daily.

Prior to discussing acceleration, I use video analysis to show students what
the position and velocity graphs look like for constant velocity as objects
travel in different directions across the video screen. We observe the
motion, the graphs, and write equations of motion from the slopes and
intercepts. I always ask them to write down their observations and then draw
the general shape of the graphs before seeing the real ones.

When the students are comfortable with constant velocity, I show falling
objects and ask them how their observations are different than before. Then
we discuss how this will change the position and velocity graphs, and the
equations that describe these graphs.

My next step is to show an object that is thrown straight up and comes
straight down. I then start a general discussion by asking the students what
the velocity versus time graph will look like. Here's where some
misconceptions arise. Almost always one student says it will look like a V,
and another will say its slope is zero at the top. Then we all discuss the
meaning of these proposed graphs and if they correlate to our observations
and to previous experimental results. It is enjoyable to see the "light
bulbs", mentioned in a previous message, go off above their heads. I much
prefer this to the headlights shining on deer eyes expression.

rac

Robert A. Carlson raacc@aol.com

Visit World-in-Motion, a physics video analysis program, at:

http://members.aol.com/raacc/wim.html

Visit the World-in-Motion AVI MOVIE DATA BASE at:

http://members.aol.com/raacc/data.html