APS election ballot

I just received my American Physical Society 1997 election ballot
this morning, and noticed that nine of the candidates (for the
constitutional offices and the general council) are from major research
universities, two from national laboratories, and one from industry.
This seems to me to be unrepresentative of the membership at large. It
surely is not the case that 82% of the membership of the APS is employed
at major research universities. Many of us work in predominantly
undergraduate institutions, industry, and government.

Why can't the leadership of the APS be more representative of its
membership?

Dr. Mark H. Shapiro
Physics Department
California State University, Fullerton