Re: LabVIEW Use

Hi Ari and Bob,

We use LabVIEW here at Purdue, but we use it to write MBL SW for our students
-- we customize the interfaces they see so as to reinforce our curricular
goals and eliminate extraneous options/confusion in the SW they run. We use
no GPIB whatsoever -- just digital and linear signal acq, processing and
display. Details are on the PHYS 152Lab homepage attached to my page (the
intro section contains a descriptive article written for the NI Solutions
Newsletter).

Yes, it's expensive (though we are arranging a site license), and yes it's an
industry standard. And yes, the NI hardware is pricey as well. There IS good
news in that you can obtain an evaluation copy of the Student Edition (no
GPIB included at all) directly from Prentice-Hall for FREE as described on the
following webpage:

http://www.natinst.com/education/LabVIEWse/lvse.htm (at the bottom)

but you have to go through the Prentice-Hall local rep system (or if you are
not a college faculty, then call them at (201)236-7000. The SE manual is
probably one of the best-written books describing/teaching LabVIEW to
neophytes in my opinion. Note: we do not use the SE ourselves, just one
development copy (full-blown) and the application builder for building about
15-17 stand-alone applications.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
Visiting Asst Prof, Purdue Univ; Adjunct Faculty, Indiana Univ at Kokomo
NEW NET ADDRESSES: danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac