Re: Rossby waves

At 12:32 PM 6/28/96 EDT, David Dockstater wrote:
Jim
See if we agree on this. The intro text tidal buldge no
more tells the story of tides than a high speed photo of
a string being plucked tells the story of music.

David, I have reread your post. My answer of this morning
stands, but here is some further insight into your view:

You are correct that a high speed photo will freeze the
violin string in one of its positions -- ie there is a
time when the violin string looks like the photo.

But there *never* is a time when the tides look like a
bulge. There is no tidal bulge at any time at any
place. Gee how else can I say it??? The idea of a
so called "tidal bulge" is a *myth* as Ari said. It is
evil wicked mean bad and nasty. And no good besides.

Down with bulges

Jim.Green@Snow.edu