Re: Viewing the Image

Gene,
This sounds like a neat idea. I think I'd try only one hole in the lens,
on axis. What problems did you encounter?

On Thu, 27 Jun 1996 08:04:08 -0400 (EDT) Eugene P. Mosca said:
I was teaching a lab in which the students were to observe images formed
by lenses, not by observing an image on a screen but by looking upstream
into the lens. However, I found that students had difficulty determining
whether or not they were seeing the image or the object. It occured to me
that if I drilled several holes through a plastic lens parallel with the
axis, then the students could view both the object, through the holes, and
the image, through the plastic, simultaneously, even if the image was
virtual. Also, for a virtual image a small indicator (post) could be
placed on the same side of the lens as the object (and image) and the
observer could locate the position of the image by repositioning the
indicator and observing it, through the holes, and the image, through the
plastic. If the positions of the indicator and of the image coincide,
no parallax will be noticed as the observer moves their head from side to
side.

When I tried drilling holes through the lens I encountered several
difficulties and eventually dropped the effort. Has anyone else
experimented with this? If so, were you successful?

Eugene (Gene) P. Mosca Phone 410-293-6659 (FAX 3729)
Physics Department 410-267-0144 Home
572 Holloway Road 610-683-3597 Summer
U.S.Naval Academy Mailstop 9C, Michelson Rm 339
Annapolis MD 21402 email: mosca@nadn.navy.mil