Re: Rossby waves

Ari, your post this evening helps a lot,

BUT the Chelton/Schlax Science paper (12Apr96 p234) reports TOPEX/POSEIDON
ocean surface height data and then says these transverse waves move the
water/weather/currents horizontally. What do I miss??? Probably a lot as
the paper uses copious oceanography jargon.

Chelton emails me that the ocean tides have nothing to do with Rossby Waves
-- it is hard to see why there is no interaction -- I confess that I *want*
there to be interaction as I am expecting to find long wavelength tidal
waves -- when I first heard of Rossby Waves, I happily thought I had found
them in disguise. This to educate those who still think there is a "tidal
bulge". I guess I will have to look elsewhere.

Thanks for your continuing help

Jim Green

Ari Epstein says:

It's kind of tricky, since in a Rossby wave the thing doing the
"waving" is not necessarily the water's surface height (which is what
most people imagine when they think of water waves).