Re: Physics First, or whatever...

Hi there.

I have been reading this thread with great interest.
I have been teaching chemistry and physics to High School freshmen for a
number of years. Each was a 1 semester course, used very little math, at
least 1 lab experiment every week and was heavily based on 3 pillars:
science, ethics and technology.

There have been alot of hands on activities, group projects,
research and presentations. Computers have been used to generate the
presentations, provide some simulations and image processing. The
students have used THE INTERNET, email and as a search tool.
We haves used CHEMCOM CHEMISTRY and CONCEPTUAL PHYSICS textbooks.

Now I have a new teaching assignment called INFORMATION PROCESSING.
Please give me you thoughts on the images and ideas this phrase envokes.
Then read the course description below and provide some thoughts.
This is supposed to be a LEVEL III vocational course offered to
sophmores and above with some experiences.

Any inputs would be gratefully appreciated.

PS I am an electrical Engineer with 20 years experiences and 6 years
teaching experience.

Thank you in advance..

+++++

INFORMATION PROCESSING

1.0 INVESTIGATE THE INFORMATION PROCESSING PROFESSION
1.1 Research information procession as a career
1.2 Participate in organizations for information procession field
professionals and/or students
1.3 Explore current issuses in the information procession
1.4 Analyze the role of information procession in business

2.0 DEMONSTRATE COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS FOR
information procession
2.1 Demonstrate writting skills for information processing.
2.2 Demonstrate reading skills for information processing.
2.1 Demonstrate listening and speaking skills for information processing.
2.4 Prepare an oral, written or electronic presentation
2.5 Apply group process and collaboration skills to information
processing activities.

3.0 APPLY COMPUTER CONCEPTS TO INFORMATION PROCESSING
3.1 Investigate computer architecture and hardware
3.2 Analyze computr operating systems
3.3 Investigate data and computer communications
3.4 Explore programming languages and syntax

4.0 DEVELOP A SYSTEM FOR A INFORMATION PROCESSING TASK
4.1 Demonstrate the system development lifecycle
4.2 Design a spreadsheet to acheive a given objective
4.3 Apply a database application to an information processing task.

5.0 MAINTAIN AN INFORMATION PROCESSING SYSTEM
5.1 Demonstrate general operating procedures for computer systems
5.2 Apply troubleshooting skills to technical problems.
5.3 Maintain computer equipment
5.4 Practice safe and healthy work habits for information processing.