Re: Physics First, Last, Always

Sorry to have been so long-winded. In a nutshell: the success of the
European model in Europe does not necessarily imply the success of the
European
model in the U.S. I think most any model of science education would do better
abroad than here because social and cultural differences (especially in regard
to attitudes toward education) rather than the pedagogy used may turn out
to be
the factor primarily responsible for the differences in achievement in
science.
Importation of a successful foreign model of science education, while
tempting,
may simply end up being an expensive exercise in casting pearls of wisdom
before swine. We may want to justify such casting on other grounds, but
we may
need instead to concentrate our reform efforts on finding what combination of
seed and nutrients will yield the best crop in the soil we're aparently stuck
with.

Nick Guilbert

In addition there is no evidence that students in other countries have a
better conceputal understanding than students in the US. The Keil
bibliography of research in student conceptions contains articles from all
around the world illustrating that students from other countries have
similar alternative conceptions in similar numbers to that found in the US.

We already turn students off and mis-lead them as to the nature of science
effectively enough. If we subject them to even more of the sort of
instruction we 'deliver' now, then the most likely outcome is to do an even
'better' job of this.

Dewey

Dewey I. Dykstra, Jr. Phone: (208)385-3105
Professor of Physics Dept: (208)385-3775
Department of Physics/SN318 Fax: (208)385-4330
Boise State University dykstrad@varney.idbsu.edu
1910 University Drive Boise Highlanders
Boise, ID 83725-1570 novice piper