Physics First

I find it hard to teach meaningful, evern conceptual, Physics until
students
can think proportionately. Piaget tells us that this requires a
certain level
of intelectual development, not normally achieved in ninth grade. I
don't
particularly like trying to teach Physics to students who are not at
least
juniors.

Just catching up on mail--sorry for the 'Dual Monitor' post a few days
ago--sent it to the wrong list.

Anyway, Dewey challenged the above as NOT being from Piaget. I wonder
whether there is really enough evidence to say that its true at all.
Often in education today, I feel that we prejudge student abilities
and approach students with severely reduced EXPECTATIONS in terms of
what they can or cannot do, what they are interested in or not, etc.
It should then be no surprise, if under such circumstances students
live up to these expectations. Can ninth graders do conceptual
physics? I really suspect they can--just as well as most 11th or 12th
graders if WE provide the appropriate types of courses. We have one
experiential yes vote from Mike Macallister. Is there other firm
evidence out there either pro or con?

Rick Tarara