Re: Physics First (lengthy reply)

I would fully support the original proposal, but ordered Physics,
Chemistry, and Biology WITH the fourth year advanced course.
Obviously this requires a committment from the school system for FOUR
years of HS science! The current order of Bio, Chem, Physics was
chosen many decades ago because of ALPHABETICAL ORDERING :-( The
new ordering makes sense from the point of view that Chemistry is
applied Physics and Biology is applied Chemistry ;-) Of course, such
an ordering all but demands that the initial Physics course be of a
'conceptual' nature without lots of algebraic problem solving (but not
necessarily devoid of such). From the point of view of a College
Professor whose (non-physics-major) students have almost all had HS
physics but less than 1/4 of these seem to know any physics, I'd
prefer that everyone have at least one strong conceptual course before
attempting the more traditional 'problem-solving' course. I think the
Physics Educational Research community ( Dewey et. al.) might concur.
The fourth year option then permits those really interested in
Physics to take an AP level course (or equivalent).

Rick

Whenever this debate arises, there appear two camps: those that argue
for an order based on the structure of the knowledge (as Rick does above)
and those that argue based on pedagogical concerns (Rick refers to a
pedagogical concern when he addresses the lack of math ability in the 9th
graders). The "structure of the knowledge" argument is powerfully
attractive, especially to physics types, because, like physics, it is a
reductionistic, task-analysis approach. In other words, the argument
breaks the 'whole' down into 'pieces' and looks to order those pieces
with an argument such as "students must know A before they can learn B,
etc." This mirrors the physical science model of breaking a problem down
into its parts or 'pieces', solving the pieces, and constructing a
logical argument (by ordering the solutions to the pieces). This is
highly successful for the types of problems that fit in the physical
science domain (such as explaining the photoelectric effect).

Problems such as "how do students learn science?" do not fit well in the
physical science paradigm. I suggest that a reductionistic,
task-analysis approach is not suitable for address such a question.
Instead, we need to look at how students learn science. Using
constructivism as a theoretical basis, we know that students' learning of
science is most effective when they can connect the subject matter under
study with concepts and structures that are already in place. If I tell
a student an answer to a question that she has never asked, or even
worse, if I tell a student an answer to a question she doesn't even
understand, I can expect that the student won't learn the answer (she
may, however, recall it for a test at the end of the unit). If, on the
other hand, I can order my instruction so that I assure that the
knowledge I would like the students to construct is directly connected to
things that the student is already thinking about, meaningful learning
can occur (the student will know the answer, not just at the end of the
unit, but for life).

Concerning the question of "which order is better: biol., chem. phys. or
phys., chem., biol.?": I think that 9th graders are (a) more interested
in living things than physical entities, and (b) find the questions and
problems of biology more accessible and meaningful than the questions of
chemistry and physics. I leave point (a) as a given (it may be argued,
but I'm already running long on this post). As for point (b), in
chemistry and physics, the questions and problems are about abstract
entities such as elements, atoms, forces, and energy. A typical physics
question (conceptually-based, from a well-known study of how well physics
students understand their physics) is the one where you ask about the
forces acting on a coin that has been tossed in the air: what are the
forces acting on it when it is on the way up? at the top? on the way
down? My research indicates that 9th graders don't normally concern
themselves with the question of what goes on at various points along a
complex trajectory. I believe the reason students performed so poorly on
this type of iem is that, even though they were taught about the forces
acting throughout a projectiles' motion, the information was not
connected to what the student already knew and was intersted in. In
biology class, however, the students begin studying questions that are
more accessible such as "in what ways are plants and animals alike?
different?, what makes me look like my parents?" Sure, they don't get
very far in answering these questions before they run up against the need
to know some chemistry and physics. But this is exactly what I believe
makes this ordering better than the reverse - when the students encounter
a need to know chemistry, they will be ready to learn chemistry.

Finally, like Lowell Herr and others, I do not accept the assumption that
the learning of science is best approached by having courses in biology,
chemistry, and physics (no earth science?). Teaching science as a
collection of separate disciplines fits well with the reductionistic,
"structure of knowledge" approach to pedagogy. I'm not convinced it fits
so well with how students learn science. If you are familiar with the
National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) and their Scope, Sequence,
and Coordination (SS&C) project, you have heard the arguments for moving
away from the "layer-cake approach" (biol., chem., phys.) toward an
integrated approach. If you are sincerely interested in the question of
which order is better, and particularly if you plan to implement such a
change in your school, you would be wise to be aware of what the leaders
in secondary science are saying about this matter. You may not agree
with SS&C, but you should consider the possibility of science classes
which are not segregated by discipline. If you're concerned about the
practicality of completely switching over to an integrated approach, you
might consider a compromise solution of a ninth-grade integrated approach
which introduces the big ideas in all the disciplines, followed by the
traditional layer-cake approach. Personally, I believe there comes a
time to immerse oneself in a discipline such as physics and struggle to
enter the physics paradigm. I just don't think 9th grade is the time to
do it for most of our students.

Sincerely, and long-windedly,
Dave

David J. Hamilton, Ed.D. "And gladly wolde he lerne,
Franklin HS, Portland, OR and gladly teche."
djhamil@teleport.com Geoffrey Chaucer