Physics First

There is an alternative to reordering the three basic science courses,
biology, physics, and chemistry, and that is to build an integrated
approach to the sciences. Back in 1966 and a bit earlier there were a
few NSF funded projects designed to integrate the sciences. Several of
these projects where based here in the Portland, OR public school
system. One program integrated PSSC Physics and CHEM Study Chemistry.
Another integrated PSSC Physics and CBA (Chemical Bond Approach)
Chemistry. In the fall of 1968 there was a three-year integration
pulling the BSCS Biology (blue version) into the PSSC and CHEM Study
integration. There were possibly others that used the yellow and green
versions of BSCS.

In 1966 I used the PSSC-CHEM's integration developed for the Portland system
and later developed a
Bio-Phys-Chem integration with the help of a fellow teacher. A few years
later three of us put together a five-year integrated program with the
first two years built upon the 21 chapters of Uri Haber-Schaim's physical
science program.

After working with the integrated approach for 30 years, I can say that
it works for us but it may not be appropriate for all teaching situations.

Our basic approach to developing the integrated program was this.

1. Lay out all major concepts to be taught in biology, physics, and
chemistry.

2. Order the concepts such that the more complex ideas are supported
by fundamental concepts. For example, students might study light before
photosynthesis. After completing step #2, we found many physics topics
found their way to the beginning parts of the concept list. But we then
faced the rub, 9th and 10th graders are not prepared mathematically or
their reasoning powers are not such that we could teach the physics
topics as we felt was necessary.

3. Step three is one of compromise. Now reorder the concepts in such a
manner so that they tend to build on each other AND come at a point in
the life of a student to where they have the necessary math to be able to
work with the concepts.

After one takes step #3 you will find that you end up with a less than
ideal situation for concept building but the core program is still
stronger than the 'layer cake' approach to teaching science. There are
other positive and negative aspects to teaching an integrated program but
this post is now sufficiently long.

Lowell Herr
Project PHYSLab
The Catlin Gabel School