Re: Physics First

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Ron Curtin wrote:

Their argument is that the freshmen don't seem to
be ready to handle some of the biology concepts.

Can't you make the argument that there is some physics that freshmen
won't be ready for. There is certainly some physics that juniors are not
ready for, so I teach it in my second year physics class. Don't your
biology teachers do the same thing.

Our program has been quite successful the way it is, and I am a little
concerned about the effect such a change might have on it. Now we have
about 80% of the school population take either the Honors Physic I course
or the General Physics I course in their junior or senior year. About a
third of those take the Advanced Placement Physics C course as seniors.

It seems clear to me that the burden of proof must rest with your biology
teachers to make their case with supporting research for both changes
(bio to 11th and phy to 9th). From your numbers, your program is wildly
successful. Stand firm. Too many changes happen in education just to make
it look like something is happening.

Scott Rippetoe rippetoe@tenet.edu
Academy of Science and Technology voice (713) 292-2615
27330 Oak Ridge School Road fax (713) 298-3292
Conroe, Texas 77385