Re: telescopes

On Sun, 9 Jun 1996 KARSHNER@stmarytx.edu wrote:

For telescopes look to Meade or Celestron for excellent amateur class
instruments - see Sky & Telescope or Astronomy magazines for advertisements.
I am currently using a LX-200 and love it as a teaching and public viewing
tool. It has a built in microcomputer and you can simple slect the object you
want to look at and the telescope moves to its location. Without this kind of
control I spent about have my time in the evening finding objects in the
telescope, now I can go from one to the next in a few minutes. It is also
capable of doing CCD imaging which allows my students to take their own
pictures that are comparable to professional ones, and the resluts are
almost immediate, unlike taking traditional pictures that require developing the
film.

We are also in the process of seeking funds for a small observatory (just
a small dome [a Home-Dome/Pro-Dome from Technical Inovations, Inc.] to
give protection and room to keep the telescope so as not to have to allign
it every time we use it for our intro astronomy observations. We are
seeking about $25,000 from a local bank. This will give us an LX-200 with
a CCD camera and the dome, pad and pedestal.

My question is this. Which CCD camera are you using? My reading of some
of the articles from _CCD Astronomy_ magazine on the WWW gives me the
impression that one needs to choose a camera either for planetary images
or one for deep-sky viewing. Have you been able to do both with your
set-up?

Thanks.

Richard Bowman
Dr. Richard L. Bowman