Re: Physics enrollments

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 15:30:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: Pang-Chieh Chou <pchou@tenet.edu>
To: phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu
Cc: phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu
Subject: Re: Physics enrollments

On Thu, 30 May 1996, Gaylord Hageseth wrote:

Please tell me what you are doing to increase enrollment. We need to
revitalize our undergraduate program. Any and all ideas and comments
are welcome.

Gaylord Hageseth

Sure, good teaching and good students help. Have you considered the
following for your students?

1) ALPS Kit and Overview Case Studies by Alan Van Heuvelen? (excellent
for active-learning and developing problem-solving skills)

2) microcomputer-based laboratories and lecture demonstrations (egs.
Workshop Physics, Tools for Scientific Thinking)

3) microcomputer-based simulations ( egs. Interactive Physics by
Knowledge Revolution, software from Physics Academic Software, Physics
Explorer by Logal)

4) support local high school physics teachers through workshops and
running demonstration shows for high school students

5) Do you have a Society of Physics Students chapter? Enlist their help
with the above suggestions, especially 4)

Pang-Chieh Chou
Elkins High School
7007 Flat Bank Drive
Missouri City, TX 77459-6111

Thanks for your suggestions. We do have an active chapter of SPS and
they have helped with our Physics Allience and High School teachers.
We also have a special section of Workshop Physics for our algebra
based course. We are also introducing microcomputer based labs to
out calculus-based course.

What the Dean wants is more students taking Physics courses.

Do you have any ideas on how to get more students to sign up for
conceptual physics or astronomy?

GTH