Re: My Optics Education Project (MOEP)

What level do you want for the test? pre-general physics? post-general
physics? post-optics course?

What format are you thinking about? short answer? problems?

What topics should be included? lasers? wave motion in general?
geometrical image formation? physical optics?

Barlow Newbolt
Washington and Lee University

The goal that we have in mind is to create an exam that pre and
post general students will take, and will show a significant difference in
scores. The exam could be used before and after a general physics or
optics course. We are thinking about having the exam be multiple choice
problems, and as for the topics, we want it in a form that students with
little physics background can understand the questions. Right now I am
digging for common misconceptions in optics topics that intro students have
touble with. The topics that we are currently thinking of are:

->Diffraction
-single slit
-grating

->Interference
-double slit
-thin films

->Refraction
-Snell's Law
-Critical Angle
-Index of Refractoin
-converging/diverging lenses
-prisms
-lens equation and magnification

->Reflection
-law of reflection
-concave mirror
-convex mirror
-mirror equation and magnification

We will definitely be including a question on geometrical image
formation. Also for more of an idea on how we are planning to set up the
test and the level we are going for, you can look at a copy of the Force
Concept Inventory by D. Hestenes(a diagnostic mechanics exam) on the web at
"http://www.phy.davidson.edu/~wc/py220/force_concept_test.html "

Also, just so any further answers and replies don't overload the list you
can email directly back to me at nafindley@vaxsar.vassar.edu.

Sincerely,
Nate Findley "nafindley@vaxsar.vassar.edu"