Re: Amusement Park Physics

It is amusement park physics time again. I took 50 students to Cedar
Point on Wednesday and we all had a great day. We learned a lot of
physics that is:)

I am enrolled in a workshop class on the physics of amusement parks
and was asked to develop a list of "novel" ideas for physics
activities in such a setting. Thought I'd ask the list if any of you
have ever--or could now--thought of less obvious aspects of physics
that may be illustrated there. Most of the kinematics/mechanics/
dynamics stuff gets a good workout. One can see some aspects of waves
in carrousels. There is electricity to run vitually everything. What
else can you think of?

Thanks

Dave

* St. John's Jesuit High School *
* David A. Simmons 5901 Airport Highway *
* <smtc45@uoft02.utoledo.edu> Toledo OH 43615 *

* Probability: When playing those "games."
* King's Dominion has a foutain that sprays so much it always creates a
cool breeze eminating fromthe fountain. Student explainations for this
are interesting.

I just finished another book. It is called "Roller Coaster Physics: A Guide
to Amusement Parks for Teachers." Instead of selling it, I'm giving it
away. It has been converted to a WEB document. In print it is only 80+
pages. I've found a few typo's since its posting. I'll make more changes
and additions later. It is a living document. Check it out at
"http//: pen.k12.va.us/Anthology/Pav/Science/Physics/". Select the bottom
menu item.
-tony

Tony Wayne Those that can, do.
wayne@pen.k12.va.us Those that understand, teach.