Re: dead batteries

Greetings all, today I wonder what is the reasonable, prudent and
conscientious thing to do with dead cells and batteries? I put a can on a
table in our hallway labeled dead batteries and soon collected about 50
Lbs. worth.

I used to send my dead ones to a handler of hazardous waste, but this is
too much. I had no idea so many would appear; most come from peoples homes
and from the dorms. What a waste of resources.
Jim McConville
ojim@midway.uchicago.edu
5720 Ellis
Chicago, IL 60637
312/702-7012
**********************************
I'm not sure how widespread this is, but in Sussex County New Jersey
there is a bin at the recycling center for used batteries.
Evidently there is some market for used batteries. I'm surprised
though that people are allowed to throw every sort of battery in
there. I would have thought that only certqain types were wanted.

| Gary Hemminger |
| Dwight-Englewood School |
| 315 E. Palisade Ave. |
| Engelwood, NJ 07631 |