Re: Electric Beats?

We stumbled onto binaural beats a few weeks ago in a lab experiment on
sound. We tried using headphones for some parts to keep the room more
quiet. Some of us heard beats, some did not. Musicians tended not to hear
binaural beats.

We were demonstrating these beats to a local physics teachers group. Tom
Rossing was in the audience and gave us a lot of information about the
beats.

Tom's book, The Science of Sound, has a brief discussion on binaural beats.
Tom also has an Auditory Demonstrations, CD Rom with a demo of these beats.
There is also a very good discussion in Berg and Stork, The Physics of
Sound.
Jim McConville
ojim@midway.uchicago.edu
5720 Ellis