Re: Length of class period info needed

However, while I was
attending college, etc, it was "well accepted" that learning (really
retention of concepts) is better with more exposures to the material
in shorter periods than one exposure in a longer period. However,
my field is not education so I do not have references. Perhaps one
should contact an education list, there must several out there.

foleyr@uwstout.edu

Where's Dewey in this discussion???

I believe some recent studies showed that after 7 minutes your audience is
LOST unless you pause, question, then change topic (however slightly).
Those of us who lecture for longer periods than that are ALL guilty of
putting our students to sleep no matter how DYNAMIC we think we are.

WRT 50 min vs 75min vs 150 min: I just finished teaching an extension
version of our Engineering Physics with calculus. It met once a week for
about 3 hours. Talk about a nightmare to teach, and I can feel nothing but
empathy for my students! I believe I proved what I think we all too often
prove: "That I can make a winner out of an ALL AMERICAN!" 20 % made A, 20
% Audited, the rest bailed...

My personal belief is that you do need "settling in time" for physics
material--unless you already have an ALL AMERICAN (A student who knew the
material BEFORE you got ahold of him). My 2 cents worth. Karl

Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk:(512)471-4152
Physics Dept-Mail Stop C1600 Office: (512) 471-5411
The University of Texas at Austin FAX: (512) 471-9637 (other building)
Austin, Texas 78712-1081 E-Mail:trappe@physics.utexas.edu