Re: Length of class period info needed

At 06:11 PM 5/13/96 -0400, you wrote:
Local forces want to change the scheduling of classes at our
regional/comprehensive institution. (Physics offers a B.S. and M.S., but no
Ph.D.) Lecture classes currently meet in 50 min periods. The proposed
schedule would lengthen the class period to 75 min and reduce the number of
:
:
Any references, especially to physics teaching, would be greatly
appreciated.

At our school we recently went from 50 minute period to 55 minute
periods, not much change, not much effect. However, while I was
attending college, etc, it was "well accepted" that learning (really
retention of concepts) is better with more exposures to the material
in shorter periods than one exposure in a longer period. However,
my field is not education so I do not have references. Perhaps one
should contact an education list, there must several out there.

foleyr@uwstout.edu