(Fwd) What's New for May 10, 1996

From Robert Park's What's New Newsletter. I thought you would all get
a laugh, especially the soccer fans.

4. WHATEVER WORKS: SPOON-BENDING PSYCHIC CAN'T CONTROL FOOTBALL.
In the UK, Uri Geller, an avid fan of the Reading Football Club,
volunteered his mental powers this season to psyche up the team.
The results were dreadful. Not only was Reading humiliated on
the field, the team's pet hamster died. But after Miss Ellie was
buried on the field, Reading was unbeatable. The team believes
Miss Ellie's spirit is lending supernatural assistance. Geller's
nemesis, James Randi, said: "I, for one, will not cast doubt on
the ability of a dead rodent to lead a football team to victory.
As for spoon-benders, I have serious doubts, which have been
reinforced by this episode." As word spreads, animal protection
groups are bracing for an epidemic of mascot sacrifices.

THE AMERICAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY (Note: Opinions are the author's
and are not necessarily shared by the APS, but they should be.)

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
(803)349-2227 The Name of the Rose
fax: (803)349-2926