Re: Help with Textbooks!?

I'm hoping somebody out there has some information or at least can direct
me to some information regarding astronomy textbooksand costs. The
astronomy program here at my high school is growing and there is a
possibility of us actually getting some books. I have two personal
favorites: Conceptual Astronomy by Michael Zeilik (published by John
Wiley & Sons) and Horizons: Exploring the University by Michael Seeds
(published by Wadsworth).

You should also look at Discovering Astronomy by Robbins, Jeffreys
and Shawl, published by Wiley. It takes a mild constructivist
approach, is sprinkled with nice little projects that can be done
easily in class, and comes with a very nice lab book that includes a
kit containing things like diffraction gratings, simple lenses to
make a small telescope, a cross staff for angle measurements, and so
on. It is a very useful pair of books at a not very high cost.

Wiley has a web site (the URL escapes me at the moment but you should
be able to find it on Yahoo or some such thing) where you can check
costs and order desk copies. As I recall, it is as slow as grannie in
winter. I remember setting it to do something, going to lunch, and
returning with it still unfinished. But at least you can get a
customer service number to order yourself a copy.

As for getting them cheap/free, I dunno. Maybe you can hit up a local
industry or something.

Jonathan Gillis

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
(803)349-2227 The Name of the Rose
fax: (803)349-2926