AP(B) vs IB(HL) test

Allen asked for my thoughts:

Allen,

I could not think of how to respond (group wide) to your posting. Have you
seen a complete AP(B) test? I could send one to you. I did not have anyone
take the AP(B) test this year but did have 10! sit for the HL. (13 for the
SL) We are sufering a weekend halftime as I write.

Let me ramble a bit:

Multiple Choice:
IB(HL) 45 questions in 90 min. Generaly a nice balance of knowledge to
application and analysis
AP(B) 70 questions in 90 min. I think that there a balance but the questions
are rarely multistepped. They do not allow calculators or formula sheets on
this part.

Free response:
AP seems to be adopting the idea of the data based question. There was one on
AP(C). They are now giving a formula sheet and allow calculators, even ones
with graphical displays (HINT! ;-)). Unlike IB there is no choice in the
questions to be selected, there are usually 6 to be done in 90 min. The
questions IB asks are more likely to focus on a series of related ideas
ranging from definition (state Kepler's Laws) to application ( use the
orbital period of a space vehicle to determine the surface gravity of the
asteroid). IB stays conceptual for half the question or more and brings in
more issues (such a designing an experiment to determine the value of G). But
IB gives a half hour to each question.

At the end of the first semester I gave my IB students IB questions and the
AP ones comparable AP questions. My impression of that testing situation was
that the AP was easier to grade and more doing problems. That felt easier to
me but that is more my bent.

Let me know if I can give more useful info,

Regards,

Ken