Re: Amazing facts

Maybe some of the engineers on the list can answer a question that has
been bothering me for years.

There is an elevated walkway between two buildings at the University near
here. The walkway is only about 8-10 meters long (between buildings) and
2-3 meters wide. There is a sign at each end warning that the Maximum
Load is 100 pounds per square foot.

I think that this is in error. Surely this is too small for a well
traveled passage way. I estimate that I exert over 300 pounds per square
foot when I stand normally on both feet.

Did somebody mess up the printing of the sign or am I missing something?

petel@tenet.edu

Pete Lohstreter "The first rule of intelligent
North Garland High School tinkering is to save all the parts."
Physics Department Aldo Leopold
2109 Buckingham
Garland, TX 75042