Re: message from Roger Pruitt

Physics Department--Fort Hays State University

Yesterday as I listened to the news from Michigan Public Radio, I heard
that the trucking industry is trying to persuade the Legislature to
increase the limits on length and gross weight of trucks.
(I think they are already larger than in most of the states).

The first expert said that a truck at the maximum legal weight
damages the roadway as much as 16,000 cars. (I think I remember
that number correctly).
The other one said that a fully loaded truck puts less force on the
pavement than a woman in spike-heeled shoes, so we needn't
worry about the trucks.

Isn't that interesting?

Clarence

Dick Smith
Department of Physics
The University of West Florida
Pensacola, FL 32514
(904)474-2269
rsmith@uwf.cc.uwf.edu

A civil engineer buddy of mine who is into road and highway planning said
that in estimating the life of a roadway, the number of automobiles
traveling it is not even considered. It's exclusively a function of truck
traffic.

J. D. Sample (501) 698-4625
Math-Physics Dept sample@lyon.edu
Lyon College