Re: Determining masses within a rotating reference frame

On Wed, 1 May 1996, A. R. Marlow wrote:

I'm asking for the derivation of a
SINGLE formula, for either M or M+m, derived by applying Newton's laws in
the specified frame, and expressed in terms of quantities measured
relative to that frame.

It may be that I don't really understand the assignment ARM has proposed
for JR, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

First let's recognize that, in reality, there is *no* frame in which both
Earth and the sun are motionless, so we are dealing with a hypothetical
situation--one that would correspond to a perfectly circular orbit in the
proscribed inertial frame. We should also recognize that we'll want to
clear out the rest of the universe of any other annoying massive bodies
so that Earth and the sun are not perturbed. (We must also beg for Ernie
Mach's forgiveness because we still want to have our "fictitious,"
"inertial," or whatever you want to call 'em forces.) I don't think
there are any real problems with any of the above, I just want to be clear.

So here we are in this frame in which both large bodies are motionless.
Careful experiments, scrupulously performed in this reference frame,
reveal a general tendency for small objects that are released from rest to
begin moving directly away from a special line (call it L) that is
perpendicular to and intersects the line segment from the center of Earth
to the center of the sun. This pervasive "background" effect is modified
significantly when the release point is close to one of the two large
bodies. After exhaustive study we find that all of the data is extremely
well fit by a function that involves only three free parameters:

initial acceleration vector Co times the shortest
of a small object released = displacement vector
from *any* point P from L to P
+
Cs divided by the distance
from P to the center of the
sun squared times a unit
vector directed toward
the center of the sun.
+
Ce divided by the distance
from P to the center of
Earth squared times a unit
vector directed toward
the center of Earth.

where Co, Ce, and Cs are the three parameters of the fit to the data.

We naturally interpret the first term as a background field somehow
associated with the line L and the second two terms as being the result of
some kind of influence from the large bodies. Finally, armed with
Newton's laws including universal gravitation and the value of G (which I
believe we are allowed and which we could certainly discover and
determine, respectively, even if we aren't), we find the mass of Earth =
Ce/G and the mass of the sun = Cs/G.

Did I do it?

************************

For those who haven't yet lost consciousness, here is a fractured fairy
tale based on the observations that assumes no knowledge of Newton's laws.

Joe "Hands" Kepler, the person responsible for the fit described above,
also pointed out some remarkable unexplained regularities in the fitting
parameters:

1 The line L, that he only discovered by close attention to the
data, passes the center of the sun at a distance equal to
the distance from the center of Earth to the center of
the sun divided by (1 + Cs/Ce). (Of course, it also passes the
center of Earth at a distance equal to the distance from the
center of Earth to the center of the sun divided by (1 + Ce/Cs).

2 The constant Co is equal to (Ce + Cs) divided by the distance
from the center of Earth to the center of the sun cubed.

3 Perhaps most remarkable of all, the first two terms of the
initial acceleration equation are equal and opposite at the
center of Earth and the first and third terms are equal and
opposite at the center of the sun!

Could these be coincidences? Nick "Cola" Copernicus didn't think so. He
proposed an alternate frame of reference in which Earth and the sun
actually orbit the line L with an angular velocity of Co^(1/2) and pointed
out that the odd trajectories of objects far away from the two large
bodies become straight lines in this reference frame!

Then along came Sir "Icesack" Newton who thought that if he invented
calculus and wrote a long and turgid enough book, people would interpret
his work as "explaining" the three laws of Joe "Hands" Kepler. The rest
could have been history.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-4396
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/